Completing The Mitchell Scholarship Application
All application materials, including the four recommendation letters and, if required, an institutional endorsement, must be submitted through the online application by 5:00 PM Eastern Time on September 30, 2016.
The applicant is solely responsible for ensuring all necessary materials are received and for submitting his or her application on time, including the receipt of recommendations.
For all undergraduate students, your campus deadline for an institutional endorsement will be earlier than the Mitchell Scholarship application deadline, and in some cases, may be much earlier. Please seek out the campus fellowship advisor for these details before starting the application process. Graduate students and non-students do not submit insitutional endorsements.
One warning: Once an applicant submits the application to the Mitchell Scholarship Program, it cannot be unsubmitted. If a campus official requests that an application be submitted for review, the applicant SHOULD NOT use the submit button on our application to submit to the campus official. A fellowship advisor can review the materials online if he/she is designated as the applicant's fellowship advisor in the application.
Also, applicants should consider printing a copy of their application before submitting the application to the Mitchell Scholarship Program. Once the application is submitted to us, the fellowship advisors will no longer have read-only access.
Once your application has been received and certified as complete after the initial deadline, you will receive information about the required video interview.
You will have approximately 48 hours to submit the video interview. The video portion of the application must be complete and submitted by 5:00 pm Eastern Time on October 3, 2015.
The video interview is simply another way for us to get to know candidates better. Mitchell Scholars will represent their schools, their country, and our organization when in Ireland and Northern Ireland. We want to see how well candidates express themselves in a spontaneous manner. There are no right or wrong answers. We expect that candidates will respect the integrity of this process by not sharing the questions with others.
To complete the video interview you must have a good internet connection, a quiet place in which to record the interview, and a computer equipped with a webcam and microphone. The interview will take less than 10 minutes. You will have the opportunity to do practice interviews. Once you start the real interview, you will not be able to pause or take a break. You will see three questions written in text on your screen, and you will respond orally to them in the time allotted. Your responses will be recorded.
For more information, see Mitchell Scholarship Applications in Frequently Asked Questions.
Materials Needed to Complete the Application
Materials you will need to complete the Mitchell Scholar application:
- Passport-style photo (PDF)
- All transcripts scanned into a single PDF (please block out your Social Security number if visible). This should include any undergraduate and graduate work you have completed. Unofficial transcripts are sufficient for the initial application. Finalists will be required to provide official transcripts during the interview process in Washington DC.
- Personal statement (1,000 words maximum – most applicants find it helpful to write this in advance).
- The personal statement or essay is your opportunity to share your personality, passion, and drive with the selection committee that cannot be communicated elsewhere in the application materials. You will be required to affirm that this is your original work and that no one has assisted you with the personal statement in any way (see below).
- A scan of your signature (PDF)
Information Needed to Complete the Application
- Your GPA
- Contact information for 4 recommenders including email, mailing address and phone number
- Contact information for Institutional Endorser (for undergraduate students only)
- Complete mailing address of your university
- Information about your awards, achievements, community service, etc.
- University choices and field of study options in Ireland or Northern Ireland - We recommend that you choose at least three programs at three different universities, and you may list as many as five. Choosing fewer than three can weaken your candidacy. When you evaluate programs, remember that the Mitchell Scholarship Program provides funding for one year only and there is no provision for a second year.
Applicants selected as finalists will be asked to provide:
- Proof of US Citizenship – See a list of acceptable documents to prove U.S. Citizenship: http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/Publications/22-1155.pdf
- Official copies of all transcripts in a sealed envelope or through a secure electronic system directly from the applicant's registrar.
All finalists must attend finalist weekend in order to be considered for the Mitchell Scholarship.
Completing the Application
You can save your work as you go, and return to the application later to complete it. You do not have to complete the sections in any particular order. The web browser will timeout after 20 minutes, so be sure to save your work regularly as you go. If you want to see if you have missed any required fields on a form, you can use the "Check my Work" button.
If you are composing in Microsoft Word or other word processing programs before pasting into your application, please be sure to note the maximum length allowed in each field (for example, 750 words, 1000 characters, etc.).
You will have a final opportunity to review your application on the Review and Submit tab.
After Submitting Your Application
Once you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. After submission, you will only have access to the application status page, where you can monitor your recommendation and endorsement letter submissions. Prior to submitting your application, ensure the availability of your recommenders, as you will be able to send reminder e-mails to recommenders from the status page, but you will no longer be able to change a recommender.