Completing The Mitchell Scholarship Application
All application materials must be complete and submitted by 5 pm Eastern Time on 1 October 2015. All information and supporting documents including recommendations and institutional endorsements must be submitted through the online application.
The applicant is solely responsible for ensuring all necessary materials are received and for submitting his or her application on time, including the receipt of recommendations.
Materials Needed to Complete the Application
Materials you will need to complete the Mitchell Scholar application:
- Passport-style photo (PDF)
- All transcripts scanned into a single PDF (please block out your Social Security number if visible). This should include any undergraduate and graduate work you have completed. Unofficial transcripts are sufficient for the initial application. Finalists will be required to provide official transcripts during the interview process in Washington DC.
- Personal statement (1,000 words maximum). The personal statement/essay is your opportunity to share your personality, interests, experiences, and goals with the selection committee. It should not simply restate your list of activities, which is covered elsewhere in the application. It should also, briefly, convey why you want to be a Mitchell Scholar and how study on the island of Ireland will advance your personal objectives. You will be required to affirm that this is your original work.
- A scan of your signature (PDF)
Information Needed to Complete the Application
- Your GPA
- Contact information for 4 recommenders including email and full mailing address
- Contact information for Institutional Endorser (for full-time undergraduate students)
- Information about your awards, achievements, community service, etc.
- University choices and field of study options in Ireland or Northern Ireland.
Applicants selected as finalists will be asked to provide:
- Proof of US Citizenship
- Official hard copies of all transcripts
All finalists must attend finalist weekend in order to be considered for the Mitchell Scholarship.
Once your application has been received and certified as complete after the initial deadline, you will receive information about the required video interview.
Completing the Application
You can save your work as you go, and return to the application later to complete it. You do not have to complete the sections in any particular order. The web browser will timeout after 20 minutes, so be sure to save your work regularly as you go. If you want to see if you have missed any required fields on a form, you can use the "Check my Work" button.
If you are composing in Microsoft Word or other word processing programs before pasting into your application, please be sure to note the maximum length allowed in each field (for example, 750 words, 1000 characters, etc.).
You will have a final opportunity to review your application on the Review and Submit tab.
After Submitting Your Application
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email. You will only be able to access the status page after your application has been submitted where you can monitor your recommendation and endorsement status and send reminder letters. You should ensure the availablility of your recommenders prior to submitting your application.